Saturday, January 30, 2010

At least I look better than Tom Sizemore

January 30, 2010

I have not been feeling well the past couple days as the weather and allergens have kicked my butt some. I have the sore throat, swollen glands, rundown thing that many others are suffering through right now as well. It makes me dislike winter more than I already did.

I thought maybe feeling bad had to do with turning 45 this week, but the two events are probably not linked. I did find a ray of hope on television last night. Beth was watching one of those VH1 shows with Dr. Drew about celebrity rehab. This one should be called "The Mackenzie Phillips show" since every scene becomes about her. I think she is dominating the small group sessions because she has been clean for 8 months and the rest of them have been clean for 8 hours. Formulating sentences is probably not easy if you are going through detox.

One of the celebs going through detox on the show is Tom Sizemore. He has been in movies like Born on the Fourth of July and Black Hawk Down along with many others. These took place in the late 90s and early 00s for the most part as this was when he was the most sober.

So anyway, he gave his age on the show last night as 49. I looked it up and he was born in 1961, so he got it correct. Actually, I was surprised at how lucid and dead on to dates he was as Dr. Drew questioned him on his usage. I have been clean and mostly sober for 45 years, and I couldn't answer questions about my work history without a resume right in front of me.

So look up Tom on the show. Tell me that he isn't looking a bit rough for 49. Then take a look at me today, take into consideration that I am not feeling well and was never as good-looking as Tom Sizemore, and then tell me that I will not look as bad as him in 4 years. I know, I don't think so either.

Speaking of me being sober, CJ and I went to a Xavier University men's basketball game this past week. We ended up with some great seats. A coworker had won the seats at a raffle and gave them to me since she is not an XU fan. CJ and I sat behind one of the baskets 3 rows from the floor. We really enjoyed it. The only bad thing was that dude behind us spilled his beer on CJ's jacket. The good news was that I did not have to explain to Beth when we got home why CJ had beer on his jacket. CJ has been clean for about 13 years and I do not drink much, especially when I am out with him. He has come to think anyone who has a drink when they are out in public and then has to drive somewhere is wrong. I may not be the perfect dad I aspire to be (see Blog title), but I am proud of myself that CJ has this outlook on life. Maybe better decisions will be made by him when he gets in those situations due to my decisions now.

Hey, there are two things I have going for me that are better than Tom Sizemore has going for him right now. I am feeling better already.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Steve, Lisa Pie here visiting from June's blog. I have no idea what you look like, but I will go out on a limb and say that I would bet $$$$ that you look waaaaay better than poor ole Tom Sizemore. (also of Saving Private Ryan fame).

    Nice blog, by the by.

    ReplyDelete