Sunday, July 12, 2009

Being the perfect dad

Today is July 12, 2009.

I am a normal 44 year old guy who lives in a midwest city who is trying to be the perfect dad. On most days, my 12 year old son actually thinks I am coming pretty close. I even have my beautiful 43 year old wife convinced that she did rather well picking out a father for her son. I am a lucky dude.

The purpose of this blog is not to gain thousands of readers who care about what I have to say, it is merely to have a place where I can tell this computer what I think, express my gratitude to my family for accepting me as I am, and to thank the good Lord above for all the wonderful things I have in my life.

In doing so, I hope to accomplish a couple other things.
  1. I hope to practice patience with my typing skills, thus not throwing the computer across the room whenever it types the keys I am actually hitting instead of the ones I meant to hit.
  2. I hope to explore the side of me that keeps my thoughts bottled up inside. By that, I do not mean the thoughts that people will consider inappropriate (as what I think is funny, many others think is strange), but the thoughts that are fleeting and taken for granted.
  3. I hope to find a better understanding of what it means to be the perfect dad.

Whenever, I get the chance to post, I will explore random thoughts centered around these hopes and whatever happened in my life that made me feel like I am doing a good job as a father, a husband, and a person. Please feel free to do the same and we can share our strengths and our "developmental opportunities" as my employer likes to call them.

As for today, I am just wrapping up a three-day weekend with my family during which I let my son have two sleep-overs at our house with friends/family. I went on several walks with my wife and/or my son that kept us moving, active, and TALKING. When we walk together, we talk together. I think my wife likes this the most as I am not known for being chatty, but when we walk together, we talk together. It is pretty amazing, you should try it. And finally, I just finished playing some Call of Duty with my son on his PS3. He actually tried to teach me how to not get killed in the first 30 seconds. So far his efforts have not proven noteworthy, but the fact that we spent this time together was rather special. He is now downstairs reading a book instead of playing more video games since we had this special time together and now he wants to show his appreciation by doing something that will make me happy.

I am going to go revel in this for awhile, so maybe we will chat again tomorrow. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment