Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Some updates

November 13, 2012

I spoke with my sister yesterday and got some updates on her crazy life.  I do not know how much I have shared with y'all in the past, but her life is pretty nuts. 

Her husband is an Army Ranger and on active duty.  He has never been stationed anywhere overseas crazier than Qatar, but has had to travel plenty while stationed here in the states.  The post he had in Georgia close to home closed and he got moved to one of the Carolinas-five hours from home.  Ft Bragg I think.  He has been trying to get closer to home and fought the army red tape and finally succeeded.  As of last week he got stationed within two hours from home.  Yay!

My sister, who attended the University of Cincinnati and graduated with a degree in Interior Design, has been a stay-at-home mom since her children were born.  She has done some freelance work, but with three children under nine and three puppies under foot, I don't think she finds time to freelance anymore.  Add in a husband gone five days a week and it can't possibly be done.

My sister is also the owner of the child who visited us and came away with a leg that really hurt.  She left Cincinnati with a cast.  It has been removed and she is fully healed.  Life may becoming more normal at their house.  All she has to do now is read my blog, eat bon bons, and prep a Thanksgiving meal for her whole family and my brother and his family.  No big deal.

As for Thanksgiving plans here at our house, we are not sure.  A couple years ago it was Steak n Shake, and last year it was a forgettable experience at Cracker Barrel.

The thing that will be strange this year is my schedule.  For the first time I can remember in the past 25 years, I do not need to open on Black Friday.  CVS is not the number one spot for most folks on Black Friday-unless they need smokes and a Mountain Dew to get them going.  Therefore, CVS is is running their big ad on Sunday 11/18 to try to catch the shoppers getting prescriptions filled before the holiday.  Pretty smart I think.  And for me, that means I am working the least amount of hours I can ever recall around Thanksgiving.  I haven't completely wrapped my brain around it, but I could get used to it.

Can you believe all the big box stores are opening either at 9pm Thursday night or Midnight?  At what point have the big wigs decided that the employees don't matter anymore?  What kind of holiday will it be for those folks who have to work overnight on Thanksgiving?  Good gravy.

Beth just got home for lunch so I will go keep her company for a bit.  Xavier plays Butler at 4pm if you are interested in rooting on the Muskies with me.  If you are rooting for the Bulldogs, sure you will probably win, but will you feel good about it?  Yeah, I guess you will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment