Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Big Yellow One is the Sun

January 15, 2013

First things first, Happy Birthday to Beth's dad.  His birthday was yesterday.  He contributed the "C" in CJ.  After CJ was born, he became "harlie".  He died several years ago, but I know Beth was thinking of him a lot yesterday and he was looking down over us.

We celebrated his birthday last night by watching some of the shows we had on DVR.  We watch the typical dramas people our age watch like NCIS, The Mentalist, Beckett (Castle), Glee (what?), and Revenge to name a few.  No shortage of excitement around our house.  We usually top off the fun with one or both of us falling asleep on the couch.  The police are rarely called to our house for a noise complaint.

So last night we watched a couple of shows and it started to get late.  I think it was 8:00.  To be fair, I had gotten up at 4:45 and probably woke Beth up whilst I prepped for work, so we had been awake for a goodly many of hours.  Anyway, I noticed that last night was Beth's turn to fall asleep on the couch first.  She will try to tell you that she knows whodunit on The Mentalist, but she really has no idea that Lisbon shot that evil Volker guy. 

As she dozed I searched for live shows to keep me entertained and awake until at least 9:30.  Tough task.  We do have a television in our bedroom, but I don't like to crawl under those covers until the bed is warmed up.  We accomplish this by having an electric blanket under our mattress pad.  I had turned it on around 6:00 so I figured it would be good and toasty under the covers by 9:30.  Nothing says suck fest much like crawling onto some icy sheets.  We don't leave the electric blanket on all night though, for those of you thinking of trying this, because when we have done that we have dreamt about being the filling in a Hot Pocket.  Lava hot in the middle, I'm saying.  CJ would have discovered us well-done on the underside come morning.

So I watched, and was entertained by Big Bang Theory for 30 minutes.  So far so good.  Then I started on 2 Broke Girls.  I have been amused by this show before, and the one actress has nice legs, so I though it might do the trick; but sometimes the crude humor and bad acting are too hard to overcome.  Last night was one of those nights.  So I turned it off and got up to prep for bed.  Beth woke up and was still a bit dozy.  "Third Rock from the Sun over?", she said.  ?!?!  Yes, 12 years ago.

How weird is the human brain?  Or, how weird is it that our couch is a time-machine and I had no idea?  Beth had traveled back to the late 90s.  I just looked it up and saw that the show ran from 1996-2001.  In reality, I would have guessed the show to have aired in the early 1990s, but it was more "recent" than I thought. Still. I don't think Beth has seen it on television lately.  I don't think it airs on Nick at Night. 

What caused her brain to think of that show I wonder?  I don't think she ever even watched it when it did air.  Wow.

Here are a couple quick updates from 2013.  CJ has started playing in a jazz ensemble two Sundays per month.  Stay tuned for performance dates.  He liked the first rehearsal and is playing drum set. 

I do not have my own store yet and am still driving 45 minutes to work, but I do still like my job.  And there are still plenty of sick people to keep CVS in business.  None of us are sick, so hopefully we can stay that way.  I hope life finds all of you well.  January is half over for those of you looking forward to Spring.  We can do this.

1 comment:

  1. sandra, over here from June's blogJanuary 15, 2013 at 6:41 AM

    Steve, I really love your sense of humor! Your couch is a time machine! I hope you get your own store soon so you don't have to travel so far every day.

    ReplyDelete