Sunday, March 3, 2013

Almond Joy has nuts, but coconut is white. Darn.

March 3, 2013

I went to the CVS Minute Clinic yesterday to have a health screening.  It is a requirement of my health insurance carrier unless I would prefer to pay an extra $600 per year.  I would not.  Therefore, Beth went with me and we drove up there.  A health screening is not terribly invasive and simply involves blood pressure, height and weight, and a finger stick allowing them some blood to test cholesterol.  I didn't even cry and she gave me a lollipop.

As Rose, the nurse practitioner, entered my information, she asked if I had gotten a flu shot.  I explained that, even though CVS wants everyone in America to get a flu shot at CVS, I had not gotten one.  Since I switched jobs and started with CVS in September, I had a 90 day period in which I was without insurance.  While CVS probably would have still allowed me a free flu shot, I wasn't sure and decided to risk it rather than pay the $32 dollars.  During this explanation, I think Rose lost interest.  A simple "no" would have sufficed.  I could tell she stopped paying attention when she asked me when I started with CVS.  I reiterated, September.  "Oh, of this year."  said Rose.  "Yes, Rose, I am from the future."  said I. 

This exchange proceeded my finger stick, so I must complement Rose for not retaliating for my use of sarcasm on my poor finger.

Since I know you are all interested in my health, I will let you know that my blood pressure was 110/70 which falls in the normal range.  My body mass index was 22.1 which means she did not ask me to remove my clothing since she said that result meant my body fat and weight were in good shape.  I don't know if the eye test would have revealed the same result.  My bad cholesterol number was good, but my good cholesterol number was too low.  Therefore, I have been given some recommendations to improve this number thus lowering my risk of stroke and/or heart disease.

More exercise, more nuts, fruits and vegetables, and less white foods like pasta, potatoes, and rice.  Since my health is my number one concern, I took to this advice immediately. 

Last night for dinner we went to Chipotle.  I had a veggie bol (with white rice).  For breakfast this morning, I had two scrambled eggs (with a baked potato mixed in).  My lunch plan involves eating some left over food in the fridge which may or may not include elbow macaroni with Alfredo sauce and/or some Tuna Helper.  Rose did suggest more fish as well, so I think Charlie once told me that tuna comes from the sea.

Obviously, I am not off to a good start with my diet changes.  A good portion of my diet involves white foods so I do have some changes to make.  I will be joining the foods of color movement.  Seems rather important.  Keeping me around is on Beth's to do list.  It's not like my father ever had a heart attack when he was in his forties.  He was fifty.  That gives me a couple of years before I am actually at risk, right?

Okay, okay!  More salads less colorless foods.  Being healthy can be stressful.  It leads to stress eating.  I need some chocolate.  But not white chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment