Sunday, February 7, 2010

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!!!

February 7, 2010

There are commercials, usually for tractor pulling contests or something similar, that use the loud, deep-voiced announcer giving it all he has with Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!!! We will sell you the whole seat, but you'll only need the edge!!!

Well, today is Super Bowl Sunday. As a football fan, I am looking forward to the game, but it really turned out more to be about our Church's service today than anything else. Crossroads Community Church here in Cincinnati is known for many great things, and one of which is their Super Bowl Sunday service. It was AWESOME!! It was very funny, and well done, and contained a great message. They are teaching us men what being a manly man is really about. Apparently, being a man is more about how we treat others, how we avoid boyish behaviors such as giving into temptation, and how we avoid peer pressure and act like a strong man. Without too much Jesus canoodling, I will just leave the message part with the thought that I hope the men of the world start to see that manipulating others, or chasing money and status and women, or acting like a boy versus a man are things that make us have scandals such as steroids, Enron, and all the stories about cheating husbands.

Hey, I will be the first to admit that I needed this message as much as any other man there. There have been moments in my life (more than I would care to admit) that I have been more of a boy than a man. For these I apologize. I am not going to use this forum as a confessional, but I will admit that I have done things in my life that I am not proud of.

Conversely, here is what I see for myself in the future that prescribes to this theory of being a man:

1. I plan on putting my family first before work.
2. I plan on turning down all those invitations for trysts that I have been getting from Jennifer Garner and Selma Hayek.
3. I will not yell at one referee during my son's soccer games.
4. I will not utter obsentities at the television when my Xavier Muskateers let another guard take the ball right to the basket without playing good help defense.
5. I will not make fun of my coworker who says things like "how can I run the solicitor out of the parking lot, he's in a wheelchair and has no legs".
6. I will continue to accept the fact that my son is going to watch the beginning of the Super Bowl today only to see the commercials.
7. I will be more of a mentor to the young people at work, since apparently they see me as their dad (or weird uncle) anyway.

And finally, I will make sure that Beth knows that she is the most perfect person in the world for me. I couldn't imagine being with any other woman who I find to be as beautiful as her, as genuinely funny as her, as tolerant of me as her, as smart as her, as common sensicle as her, or as sexy as her. She keeps me on the edge of my seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment