Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy 4th

July 4, 2013

Happy Independence Day to all of you.  If you have anyone in your family who is serving our country in the military, or has served, please thank them for me and my family for keeping us safe.  I am so glad they are the troops as I would make the worst troops.

As for Independence Day, Martina McBride sings a song with the same name that is one of my all-time favorites.  If you ever get the chance to hear it, you will find it has very little to do with the freedom of our county.  However, she does a version live not long after 9/11 that is very moving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sslFmCepE_0

There is the link if you want to have a look and have six minutes of free time.

As for the safety of my family, I am very lucky to be alive this morning.  (No, not really)  Last night was the night our local community celebrates the holiday.  It is done with a mile-long race for adults and children and then a shorter fun race for the little kids.  The kids are adorable.  One adult ran the race backwards while his dog ran with him, but forwards.  I am not sure what the significance of this was except to prove that dogs are smarter than humans.  If you know who Bill Cunningham is, he interviewed people at the finish line.  He is a local celeb who achieved fame as a radio DJ and has moved on to have a national television talk show. I haven't seen it since, ironically, it is not shown locally.

Anyway, the race is followed by a parade in which my son's high school marching band participates.  This is his third year marching with the drum line and he has come a long way from the kid who had to have someone lift the quads off of him at the end of the route since he was too tired to do it himself.  He is in such good shape now that he marched and then went to the fireworks afterwards with his GF.  He looked great and they sounded great.

That leads to my concerns for our safety.  I went to bed around 10:00.  As you can tell from the number of times I have posted lately, I have been busy at work.  Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I have been working a lot.  Even when I am at home, I get texted a lot.  I just had my monthly visit from my district manager on Tuesday and it went great.  He was going to take the traveling trophy for the store with the best numbers with him when he left to hand out at the next meeting, but then saw my numbers and knew he should just leave it with me.  I told him I didn't mind bringing it with me so the other managers could at least sit near it for a couple hours. but he didn't think they would be up for me trash-talking.  I guess we will see.

So tired was I.  When I sleep, I sleep like a mom.  I hear everything that is going on whether it be a storm, Beth walking around when she can't sleep, or a baby crying.  Our baby hasn't woken up crying for 14 years or so, but I still listen just in case.  However, last night, Beth got a text from CJ to come pick him up around midnight and went to get him.  Our house is not big enough that a person can enter the house and not be heard.  Except by me last night.  When I woke up at 7:00, I had to wonder if my peeps were here.  I looked to my left and Beth was there.  I was pretty sure that if she was still waiting for a text from CJ at 7am, that she would not be doing so calmly.  So everyone survived the holiday intact.

So I have a couple days off, but our weather isn't going to be great.  Rain in the forecast.

I just got a text that the 8am cashier hasn't shown up.  Here goes the holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment