Saturday, December 12, 2009

Bless this weekend off

December 12, 2009

Finally. It seems like a long time between weekends off, mostly because it has been a long time. I know that for those of you who have to work every weekend, I will evoke no sympathy, but it has been a month since I have had two days off in a row. I guess I have gotten soft, but I really need the two days to get body and mind back together in order to do it all over again. Things have been so busy at the store this year that it leads to a level of frustration when you walk out of the store knowing the closing team is going to have a rough night. I know the team working this weekend is going to be challenged as well, and I will consider it a blessing if no one calls or texts me about something going wrong.

Anyhow, my main concerns for the weekend are having fun with Beth and CJ and staying warm. Boy, am I a whiny child about being cold. Our new furnace is getting a workout. CJ generally walks around in boxers, a tee shirt, and bare feet; while I have on pants, socks, shoes, a long sleeve shirt, and a sweatshirt. Still, my hands are cold and if I pressed my nose against your belly, you would probably take a swing at me. You may think it's funny, but it's snot.

Thus, I need an explanation about this jogging thing. It is 0 degrees outside with the windchill, and there are people out there running in shorts. Sure, they have on a knit cap and gloves, but really? I also know that exercise generates body heat, but how do you convince your mind to walk out the door and make your legs start moving. I once saw a movie about a runner and it really drove home the point about how large a role the mind plays in the ability to run, especially for distance. You have to convince yourself that there is no pain. Apparently, my mind is not equipped for such things as I am in pain just THINKING about running.

What surprises me about this though, is that I actually have a strong threshold for pain. I have bad knees and ankles, and feet, yet I go about my business every day without too much complaining. When I bang into something or cut myself, I just rub some spit on it and get back to work. However, ask me to walk to the car in the cold, and my brain causes my whole body to tense up and makes my ass pucker.

I dream of living some place warm someday, but it all depends on the future CJ chooses. I think it reflects my unconditional love for him that if he opts to live in Cincinnati or somewhere near these parts, I won't be able to live in the south and not see him or his kids often.

So, I am going to go jump in the shower (not literally, that would be dangerous) and see if that warms me up a bit. I realize I could also work out to generate some body heat, but did I mention what a weak mind I have? Weak mind, weak body. They seem to go together. Actually, I plan on working out today in some manner. My gym membership has not been getting much use lately. If I stepped onto a Wii Fit board today, the little thing would go "one at a time please". I suppose it could happen...just like me putting up the Christmas tree the other day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment